A little worried Bird tells me ( well, actually it caught my eye in the Pet Food Industry Journal )
“Millet: An alternative ingredient in dog and cat food? With good protein quality and more fat than most grains, millet has the potential to serve as an ‘alternative’ ingredient in pet food.”
At the moment, the idea is over the pond – but, we are sure it will soon be making its way into the U.K before long. So, we thought we would give you pet lovers a little heads up on what its all about.
Well, let’s examine this a little more closely:
- Millet is actually a cereal grain. Cats and Dogs are carnivorous creatures, so giving the Millet as a protein dense alternative would actually be totally inappropriate as a source of nutrition.
- We should be trying to mimic, as closely as possible a Dog and Cats ancestral diet in order for them to get the optimal nutrition.
- Cheap, plant based ingredients, such a Millet, has no place in Dog & Cat Food.
Please be assured that MILLET will NOT be going into Deano’s Pet Food!
The journal articles begin by stating:
“Millet is a small seed commonly associated with wild bird food. Its inclusion in pet foods may seem less than serious as it pertains to food production and nutritional support, but it may actually be one of the more nutrient dense of the cereal grains. Because of this, including millet as a new ingredient in dog and cat foods in order to stay competitive is something that progressive pet food companies may want to consider.”
When someone comes up with a great new pet food, I try not to dismiss it right away, and will do my own research into the component parts. After all, most things that we have come to live with and love these days started as a Great New Idea – and there are some amazing ideas out there. Millet, has its place – but not in Dog & Cat Food (in my opinion)
I have to smile when I read the words : Wild Bird Food, New Ingredient, Staying Competitive and Progressive Pet Food Companies in the same sentence sentence relating to Dog and Cat food!
Probably, like me, you would read the article and ask yourself why on Earth you would even consider giving your meat loving Dogs and Cats Wild bird food?
Deano’s Pet Food is of course totally Grain Free – the way we like it. For those that choose to feed a Pet Food which does contain grain – I would like to point out that:
- Millet is a Cereal Grain – which, on a purely biological perspective is inappropriate For and Cat and Dog food.
- The labelling of pet food containing Grains is such that they are included in the Total Protein Content of the feed. Despite the fact that they are not a beneficial type of protein for your pet
- Labels on Pet Food containing Grain will usually state the percentage of “Crude Protein” . Crude protein is a combination of both plant and animal protein. Be aware that current legislation does not force pet food manufacturers to reveal how much of the protein is Animal and how much is plant based. So, a high percentage of Crude Protein does not mean that the food contains a high percentage of quality, animal protein.
- Dogs and Cats NEED 22 amino acids (which are the main bulk of protein) to keep them in a healthy state. On their own, your Dog can only make 12 amino acids and your cat only 11. Therefore a Dog needs to get another 10 amino acids and your cat needs a further 11 FROM THEIR FOOD. Animal protein contains ALL of the 22 essential amino acids – plant protein does not
The protein source in Deano’s Pet Food contains the whole Amino Acid profile, from Meat and Fish, which is a High Quality protein. Without all 22 amino acids, your Dog and Cat will not grow, develop and thrive as it should. Every cell in their body contains and needs to contain protein
- Millet is a carbohydrate, and when added to your pets food, in large amounts can lead to a whole host of unwanted health problems. Diabetes, Blood sugar fluctuations and obesity are just a few of the problems, there are many more. Any excess carbohydrate over and above your pets daily requirement is simply stored as Fat
In our opinion, including Millet as a new ingredient in dog and cat food isn’t something that a “progressive” pet food company would engage in a t all. YES, pet food companies for want to be competitive, of course they do – however feeding cheap wild bird food to dogs and cats just IS NOT the way to do it.
We believe that Progressive, responsible Dog & Cat food companies should be:
- Developing competitive Natural and balanced pet food for the specific species they are catering for. Birds and Dogs, Cats do not have the same dietary requirements.
- Creating food that as closely as possible mimics their natural ancestral diets
- Using High quality animal protein, foods that are moisture dense, high in protein and minerals with only low to moderate amounts of high quality animal fat. Certainly not the plant based fat in millet and other grains.
For your beloved Dog or Cat to live a happy and healthy life, actually Thriving as opposed to Surviving. they need the high quality essential nutrients, proteins and fats. They DO NOT need the completely unnecessary ones.
Food for thought:
- Dogs and Cats need high quality animal protein, fats and a small percentage of fruits and vegetables. The fruit and vegetable provide the necessary fibre and antioxidants that Cats and Dogs in the home environment these days need. They would naturally get this in their ancestral diet by hunting and eating their whole love prey – The prey itself would feast on fruit and vegetables, and therefore when the prey itself os eaten by the Dog or Cat, they in turn get the fruit and veg!
- Because of the way crops are grown now, its essential that trace elements, minerals, vitamins and fatty acids are included in manufactured pet food.
- Pets would not naturally eat Grains, fillers, artificial colours and preservatives, processed foods or other additives in the Wild – therefore they DO NOT need then to survive and thrive
- Most Dogs and Cats today don’t eat any living food. From birth through to death, they eat prepared foods
- Feed your Dog and Cat the best food you can afford. One which contains High Quality Ingredients, processed in such a ways that the individual components retain their natural goodness, and without grains.
Deano’s Grain Free and Hypo-Allergenic Dog and Cat Food gives your pet all they need in a diet, with a high naturally sourced and prepared fresh Meat and Fish content.
Deans Pet Food Complete, Natural & Balanced, approved by Vets and one of the cheapest Grain Free high quality pet foods you will come across